How do we get our IT project back on track?
IT projects can derail for a number of reasons. Understanding where they have stalled, ensuring you’ve got the right people behind you and revisiting the project plan can get them back on track.
We have been on the receiving end of phone calls from fraught Managing Partners and stressed IT Directors who are struggling to get their project back on track. Often they don’t know what to do, where to start, who to turn to and are stuck in procrastination paralysis.
Here are 5 key steps to getting your IT project back on track:
1. Determine the reason why your IT project has derailed. This can help you tackle the problem head on and put contingencies in place to avoid it happening again so determine what was the cause
• Internal resource limitations, e.g. holiday, sickness, project manager leaves
• Technology not delivering as you expected/needed
• Going over budget
• Changes to the scope of the project internally
• Lack of internal sponsorship and engagement for the project
• Lack of governance – no clear responsibilities or ownership
2. Appoint an experienced project manager to review the project and who has the time and capabilities to ensure the project keeps moving and stays on track through to completion.
3. Assess and reform your internal project team. Having an external, impartial project manager here will help to avoid internal politics.
4. Re-visit the project plan – are the dates/key milestones realistic?
5. Communicate the plan clearly and agree the actions with all stakeholders, ensuring good governance.
Lights-On Consulting has project managers with the skills and experience to support firms at any stage in their project journey and can help you get your de-railed project back on track. We bring knowledge, structure and high-level independent advice, whether you need us to manage your project for you or to support and mentor your in-house team.
For an initial conversation to discuss your challenges or requirements, please call the Lights-On team on 0345 056 8680.
Alternatively, you can complete the enquiry form and one of our experts will get back to you.
How can we help you?
Let us know what you’d like more information about
Our core services
We advise businesses on a broad range of IT services, but our advice is centred around four core services: